Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Playing Favorites

When a favorite teacher retires it can leave a gaping hole in the community. On our community a feisty campaign to get me to write a story about one such teacher began. They called me and emailed, sent us pictures. Finally I agreed to do a story.

Mrs. S raised the bar for 3rd and 4th grade kids for 20 years. She loved her students and it shows. Ask any graduate who had her when they were in elementary school. It is almost certain they will list her as a favorite teacher. I talked to several of her former students and they all raved about her.

One rainy day last week I went to year round school. It was nice to see kids in school after so much summer. I really can't wait for school to start up again. Wednesday was Mrs. S's second to the last day of school. When I arrived the children were finishing up a snack. Mrs. S introduced me and we sat down to chat.

Mrs. S is one of those teachers. One year she let the children decide if they wanted to buy rent or sell their desks. They earn "money" for good behavior and garner fees for bad behavior. The children have had small businesses. They have hired and fired their employees. One year one kid disputed his firing and he hired another kid to represent him as his attorney and sue his "boss."

This year the students were working toward a book auction and the opportunity to bid on the classroom stuffed animal, Stripy. Some had the money and others did not.

"What did the children learn from the assignment?" I asked.

"Why don't we ask them?" she said. Mrs. S turned to the students. She introduced me and then asked the children what they learned from the money experiment. They talked about hard work and seeing their efforts pay off. They talked about making mistakes, consequences and learning from those mistakes. They talked about setting goals and being successful.

Mrs. S turned to me with tears in her eyes. "I guess I've done my job," she said. "You guys are ready to move on."

That's one of many stories you find when you talk to people about their favorite teacher and visit that teacher's classroom. Then there is the unexpected gems. When I asked Mrs. S what her favorite lessons are she politely declined to say, citing the personal lives of her students. Fortunately I had the name and number of one of those students. I just didn't know it yet.

When I called I talked to mom. Her son had Mrs. S in 3rd grade. During the course of the conversation she revealed that her husband died unexpectedly when her son was in Mrs. S's class. The night before the funeral there was a school choir concert scheduled. Mrs. S insisted that the boy participate. She picked him up and took him out to dinner with his class. They dedicated the concert to the his father's memory.

"It really cheered me up," he told me.

Incredible.

Out in the hallway away from the curious ears of the children, I asked her the standard question that I ask most retiring teacher.

"What's next for you?"

She checked the door to make sure it was closed.

"I'm going to smoke, drink, learn to speak French and play piano!" We laughed till our bellies hurt.

Then she asked if I would come in and talk to the kids about being a reporter. Everything is a teachable moment. I explained above the fold and below the fold. I explained leads and pegs. And yes, the comics pages are great.

The editor said it was good story, but a long one.

As usual.

TARB

No comments: