Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sickness

I don't know where I picked up the germ that got me, but it got me good. While out for a jog early last Tuesday I stopped to cough. And nearly threw up in some lady's driveway. She tottled out to pick up the paper and there I stood, coughing and heaving in her driveway.

On Thursday I had a day off and felt something coming on. I was unable to get to preventive meds like zinc. Friday I felt scratchy, but went to work anyway. By Saturday I was voiceless and coughing. Miserable. My boyfriend thought it was hilarious that I was completely voiceless. Sunday night the fever hit. But before the fever hit I had an interesting meeting with a little girl in my neighborhood.

When I was driving by her house a few days ago she looked really familiar. "I know her," I told my sister. Then Sunday night I saw her again out rollerskating. I went for a walk; I had to solve this mystery.

"Excuse me!" I rasped, "Do you go to H----- Elementary in M---------?" She had a startled look on her face.

"Yes."

"I thought I recognized you," I said as I crossed the street. "I'm the reporter for the paper. I saw your rehearsal for you concert the other day."

We introduced ourselves.

"You're a the reporter?" she asked.

"Yep."

"Wow! The reporter lives right in my neighborhood!"

She's ten. And the concert turned out really well. And she has a Scottie dog named Butch. He's two. She moved from Oklahoma. She can't wait to go swimming. And she still couldn't believe that a REAL REPORTER lives right in her neighborhood.

So the kids get me sick. That's part of the trouble with being a Lesser Journalist with an education beat.

I'll live with the germs.

TARB

No comments: